Visit us

814 W. Francisco Blvd. San Rafael, CA 94901

This store is now closed!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recycle your coasters!

There I was, sitting on the couch, watching part 3 of Masterpiece Theater's "Downton Abbey" on PBS. (Alert anglophiles and fans of "Upstairs, Downstairs", we are loving this new series! AND, when I did a search on PBS, I saw that there is an updated version of "Upstairs, Downstairs" on PBS starting in April! Yowza! If you didn't know I was a PBS geek before, my secret is out.)

So, anyway (tangent)...it was cold and we keep the heat low, so I was sipping my favorite ginger tea from Trader Joe's. Ahhhh.....wait a minute...what is up with that coaster?! I suddenly realized that we'd been using the same old Impressionist series coasters from the San Francisco MOMA for at least 15 years. Yes, my friends, you read that right. We bought those coasters when we were first married, so it must be around 15-16 years or so. LOVE the SF MOMA for producing the quality coasters that last so long....but really, it is time for a change!


Since I previously revealed that I am addicted to the DIY-recycling and decorating blogs, I did a little search for ideas to redesign my coasters. I found a few that inspired me to produce new and improved coasters out of my old ones.




Sorry, I neglected to take a photo of the original Impressionist series coasters. However, I was so excited that I decided to make new coasters for all the rooms in the house! If a little is good, then a lot must be better! I happened to find a huge stack of English hunting scene coasters at a neighbor's garage sale for $3!




Here's how to do it, this is so easy and took me about 5 minutes (plus drying time):

You start with coasters, Mod Podge and a brush. You will also need scissors to cut your paper.

You won't need your child to do this project, but you can see in this photo that my child is making coasters for his room. With stickers on the coasters, cute!



Choose your paper first, lay the coaster on the paper and trace around the coaster. Cut the paper out to the size you traced around your coasters, then apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the coaster, place the paper on the coaster and allow it to dry.

You can see here that I need to trim the edges around the coasters so the paper fits perfectly. Wait for it to dry, about 20 minutes, before you trim the edges.


When the paper is dry, trim the edges and apply a coat of Mod Podge over the paper as a sealer. Allow 20 minutes to dry. Repeat. Repeat again and 3-5 times. Mod Podge is a sealant, so you don't need to finish it off with anything else, but I sprayed them with a matte clear coat sealant just to be safe. You can use any sealer that won't yellow over time.

Here's the finished product....I made 4 of the pinkish green coasters for the living room and 2 of the blue and green for our bedroom. I have about 12 coasters left to make for other rooms in the house or for gifts!


Love this recycling! XO, Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment