About 2 days before Christmas, someone left us a surprise in the foyer at Marin Kids Consignment...a lovely PILE of computer monitors, keyboards, and old heater and such. We wondered who misread our sign and thought we were an e-waste recycling operation? We guess that some misguided soul thought we are able to recycle everything to the charities we work with (which we wish we had the resources to do), so let's use this as an opportunity to clear up that misconception by saying that:
1) we love to help distribute your stuff to new families...but that we are a kids and maternity shop, so please keep it to kids and maternity items, in working order and clean!
2) we don't have the resources to distribute house hold goods or computers or anything other than kids and maternity items as stated above!
Now, what to do with the "gift" that someone left on our doorstep?
There are many places to recycle old computers and everything electronic (including blinky light shoes!), and most places do it for free or for a very low cost. There are events all over Marin, in fact there is one THIS WEEKEND! They are often fundraisers for local schools:
Shredding Services available from Integrity Shred from 9am-12pm
- Bring all your old documents and watch them be shredded on the spot.
- Cost: $5.00 per legal sized box/computer paper box (or equivalent size bag). Limit 5 boxes per person so that everyone can have their documents shredded (will shred additional boxes if time permits)
- Bring your old electronics (working or not) and drop off to have them disposed of in a safe and responsible way. This e-waste drop off is FREE.
- Items accepted: all tv's, monitors, computers, laptops, computer components, cell phones, stereos, ipods, game consoles, DVD/VCR players, printers, copiers, fax machines, cables and cords, household batteries, Christmas lights, blinky light shoes.
WHERE: Hamilton School front parking lot, One Main Gate Road, Novato, CA 94949
All proceeds to benefit Hamilton School PTA
An everyday resource for recycling e-waste is the Marin Computer Resource Center:
"We recycle household electronics and give away free refurbished computers to those in need to help narrow the digital divide. Since 1994 we have given away thousands of computers to schools, non-profit organizations and economically and/or physically disadvantaged individuals. Discarded electronics are reclaimed and refurbished in our training program where volunteers learn to restore computers for home, school, and office applications."
They are located at 42 Digital Drive #3, Novato (415) 883-1428
So, out with old and in with the new! Don't forget to shop with us first, as we often have items that are new with tags or next to new. And happy recycling!