Visit us

814 W. Francisco Blvd. San Rafael, CA 94901

This store is now closed!

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Giving furniture a second chance...another way to recycle and reuse

I love the idea of a fine old dresser being refinished or repainted to live a second (or third or fourth...) life in a new home.

Give it a sanding, a coat of paint and new hardware...voila! A whole new piece of fine old furniture in my house. I also love that old furniture no longer exudes formaldehyde. According to the EPA, "In homes, the most significant sources of formaldehyde are likely to be pressed wood products made using adhesives that contain urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins." Click HERE to read the whole article.

I have high hopes that I can redecorate using old pieces given a new life. I got inspired when I read my friend Celeste's repainting projects. She repainted a dresser for her girls (see it HERE) and a dresser for her son (see it HERE). I must admit that I was so jealous of her fine work! I saw her posts and thought, "I can do that!" In other words, "If Celeste can do it, I can do it!" Inspired, yes...jealous, yes...as talented as Celeste...um, no.

I started with a dresser for my son's room that had to be less than 33" wide...he wants to keep his floor space cleared and therefore the dresser is going in the closet. Here's what the dresser looked like before I started.











No finished photo yet! That's right, it's been about 2 months and 3 coats of paint, but I hope to finish it soon. "De-nile" is more than a river in Egypt, my friends. I have successfully blamed the delayed completion of this project on the rain....wet weather = wet paint. Can't put on the next coat until the last coat dries, right?! Given my problem with starting projects that I can't seem to find the time to finish (see post below about my love of crafty projects...I love 'em, just can't find the time to actually DO them!), I resorted to finding finished products on Craig's List.

Today I found a perfect recycled masterpiece on Craig's List to go next to the bed...like a large nightstand. What is it with tiny night stands, anyway? Once we have the lamp in place, there is no room for a pile of books! Forget about a glass of water or my iPod, my glasses, pencils, and the myriad of army men that seem to follow me around. We need a small dresser for next to the bed. And I found one through a lovely recycler at The Second Rvivl. Check out her web site HERE. She takes older furniture and gives it a second life.


Here it is! It's still in the back of my car, I just picked it up. It's all shabby-fied, so I won't worry about scratches but I might add a little piece of glass to the top. And it's the perfect size: 30" tall x 32" long!

I hope we can get some other kid-friendly recycled furniture into the shop from The Second Rvivl. If you or someone you know likes to recycle kid-friendly furniture, please contact us! We'd love to have more furniture for sale in the shop.

- Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment